Peach Melba on Gingerbread Pancakes
Peach melba — peaches and raspberries in a sugar syrup — pairs wonderfully with these gingerbread pancakes. A generous dollop of whipped cream is the perfect complement.
2 ½ c. frozen or fresh peach slices
¾ c. granulated sugar
1 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 ½ c. frozen whole raspberries
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. Alaska Flour Company barley flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. ground cloves
1/3 c. molasses crystals or liquid molasses
2 large eggs
1 c. sour cream
¼ c. melted butter
1 c. milk (plus more as needed for the right consistency, up to 1 ½ c.)
1. In a microwavable bowl, thaw the peaches if frozen. Drain off the juices into a measuring cup. Add enough water to have ½ c. liquid.
2. In a medium saucepan, mix the juice with the sugar and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until the mixture has thickened and turned translucent.
3. Add the peaches, raspberries, and vanilla to the saucepan. Stir until combined.
4. Make the pancakes: In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices. In a large bowl, mix molasses, eggs, sour cream, butter, and milk. Let mixture sit for a minute to soften the molasses crystals and then stir until they are dissolved.
5. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until the two are just combined, adding more milk if needed. Some lumps will remain.
6. Cook on a very hot griddle. Serve hot, topped with peach melba and whipped cream.