YIELD: 32 rolls
1 Tablespoon yeast
1 1/2 cups warm water
2/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup melted butter (10 1/2 Tablespoons)
2 eggs, (room temp)
1 cup prepared mashed potatoes (without salt) -I use instant mashed potatoes
2 1/2 cups of barley flour
4 cups of all purpose flour
1. Dissolve yeast in warm water and sugar, about 10 minutes.
2. Then add salt, butter, eggs, and mashed potatoes. Mix well.
3. Add the flour, one cup at a time, kneading well in between. You may need anywhere from 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 cups. Don’t add too much flour. Knead for several minutes, until the dough no longer sticks to the side of the bowl and is smooth and elastic.
4. Cover and let rise, 1 hour.
5. Then on a countertop dusted with flour, dump dough out. Divide dough in half. Roll each half into a large circle. Using a pizza cutter, cut the dough like a pizza into 16 triangles. (So with both circles of dough you will have a total of 32 triangles). From the outside in, roll up the dough into a crescent shape. Lay on a greased cookie sheet and cover with a clean dish towel.
6. Let rise for 1-2 hours or until doubled in size.
7. Bake at 400° F for 12-15 min. Remove when tops are golden brown.
Tag us on Facebook (Alaska Flour Company) or Instagram (@alaskaflourcompany) when you make this recipe. Enjoy!